Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Kiss The Cook! by Amy Michaels

Tagline: Sophie wasn't passionate about cooking until she got together with a chef!

Observations: I loved this story, partly because I LOVE TO COOK. I loved the authenticity. Michaels certainly knows how to cook, or she did a great job of convincing me.

I did wonder about a grocery store allowing a chef to come promote his restaurant, but I suspended my disbelief.

I thought the way Michaels arranged for Greg to help her with dinner was very natural, and like I said before, it was totally correct for the chef to disdain the dried herbs in favor of fresh ones, although it might be hard to find fresh bay leaves.

I disagree about cake being more trouble than creme brulee, but there's a much bigger wow factor with creme brulee and they did have five hours, so there'd be plenty of time.

I thought the ending was terrific and with just the right amount of intimacy--the cheek kiss--for the amount of time they'd spent together and their budding relationship.

Photo by Clotee Allochuku via Flickr Creative Commons

4 comments:

Sandy Smith said...

I liked the story, too. I didn't think about the grocery store promoting a restaurant. Does seem a bit unlikely but apparently it didn't bother me.

Anonymous said...

It was refreshing to see someone other than Patricia's go-to authors get a contract. Don't get me wrong the established authors are good, but the new submission process has seemed rather unfair. I'm hoping this means Patricia is checking the non-pro submissions more regularly now.

I do agree with Kate about the cake versus creme brulee. I would think the creme brulee would present more of a challenge to make :) Still, I thought it was a good story.

Congratulations Amy!

Shelby

Pat said...

I also loved this story, Kate. Didn't even notice that store/restaurant thing until your brought it up.

Re: the cake vs. crème brulee, as a cook and baker I've made both often and give me the crème brulee any day. Less mess, less clean up, and so much yummy in taste. LOL I guess I like crème brulee better than cake.

Kate Willoughby said...

Creme brulee is my favorite too. I haven't made in in a long time though. Maybe I'm misremembering how much trouble it is.