Monday, March 2, 2015

Forever and For Always

by Shoshana Brown from the February 23, 2015 issue

Tagline

Eric was the love of Sherry's life--and the only one who could calm her pre-wedding fears!

In a Nutshell

Sherry is having second thoughts because she gave Eric an ultimatum. He reassures her he truly does want to marry her.

Observations
This is the first time I've seen a story about pre-wedding jitters. At the risk of repeating myself, I thought it was a novel idea for a story. I liked Eric a lot. He seemed like a great guy. Danni, the maid of honor, was terrific too.

Reading this story reminds me that one way to "attack" a story about an already-established couple is to identify a crisis moment or a problem like this and then get them past it, together. These types of stories are usually about the woman being afraid of something that has to do with their relationship. During the course of the story she is reassured. Sometimes it's a friend who helps her along. Sometimes she figures it out on her own. Sometimes, as in this story, the man reassures her. It's a nice option to consider if you're tired of writing first meet stories.

Photo credit: Suzie2q via Flickr Creative Commons

3 comments:

Pat said...

I liked this story, a lot, mostly because it was different. Ms. Brown handled a negative problem very well.

Loved your observations. Great things to point out for us writers. Can't wait to see if next week's story in 'another different one.'

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this story, too. It was a nice change of pace. The characters were very likable. I think Mrs. Brown did a good job!

Tressa

P.S. Thank you for all the sweet replies the other day!

Sandy Smith said...

I liked it, too. I actually enjoy writing stories about already married couples.