Monday, July 28, 2014

Yours, Mine, Ours

by Jan Pierce from the July 21, 2014 issue

Tagline

When new neighbors meet, who knows what can happen?

In a Nutshell

A divorced mother of two sons, Greta can't get her lawn mower started. The new neighbor next door helps. She invites him and his daughters to dinner. The girls compare them to the Brady Bunch.

Observations

I'm afraid I have to put on my critical hat. I liked the story, except for one thing, and the one thing ties into the entire theme of the story. I couldn't buy that these little girls, aged 12 and 9, would know about The Brady Bunch. 

I dislike when pop culture references don't synch with the age of the character who is making them. For instance, I'm very careful to make sure if my character is 25 years old, he is not quoting Hogan's Heroes. Of course, it is possible that these young girls have seen that show on DVD. If there had been a line explaining that their dad bought the boxed set for them for Christmas one year and it's their favorite, I would have been fine with that. But there was no such explanation, which made me shake my head, unfortunately. 

Except for that one omission, I liked the story, but in the long run, I'm not all that important. Johnene is the important one and she liked it as is and paid Ms. Pierce $800 for it. 

Photo credit: ABC Television via Wikimedia Commons

7 comments:

Pat said...

I thought this story was adorable. I just assumed the kids watched reruns of the old show. I guess cause Hubby watches the oldies' channel. LOL Nice catch though, I do agree with your thinking though. I try to make sure my characters speak like themselves instead of me. I've even had critique comments when I goof up.

Mary Jo said...

I had to wonder about the Brady Bunch comment, too. It is not anything I ever watched on TV and I am a lot older than twelve. Is it in reruns?

I thought that was a very cute selfie of you. Actually, I like it more than your current blog photo. It looks like you are a little gal. Well, you and I could probably look each other right in the eye. Same with Chris. I don't know about anyone else.

Tamara said...

The Brady Bunch is in reruns ad nauseam. I can very well imagine that those kids watch those reruns and that it's a program parents don't mind their kids watching.

Betsi said...

My 11 year old granddaughter watches it--she's not allowed to watch modern stuff!

Mary Ann said...

Yep, I agree. The Brady Bunch is on Nick at Nite, etc. all the time and I know youngsters that watch it. That didn't bother me very much either. My own daughter watched it when she was that age, and I had seen all the episodes already from my own childhood. It goes round and round...

Kate Willoughby said...

So, clearly, I don't watch enough TV. LOL

Tamara said...

LOL, Kate.