Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"What a Guy!"

by Vanessa Carroll from the March 14, 2011 issue

Tagline: Jamie didn't realize she was looking for an hero--until one showed up just in time!


In a Nutshell: Jamie rushes out of her house, scared out of her wits by the raccoon that got in. A new neighbor, Mitch, braves the house and captures the critter. The next day, she brings cookies to thank him and they go out to dinner.

Observations: I haven't seen a man to the rescue story in a while. If this is what I get when I wait, it's worth it. This story was very cute and original and slightly madcap in tone.

There was something in this story that I don't often see either-- that ending paragraph.

And that's the story of how an uninvited raccoon introduced me to true love. I have to admit I've had a soft spot for the critters ever since.

This addition makes you feel as if Jamie is a friend sharing her story with you, especially considering it was in first person. It gives the piece a casual feel.
In My Opinion: This story could have used a more clever title.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

Thanks Kate. My original title was Operation Evacuation. I thought it was funny that it was changed to to What a Guy! LOL! Thanks for your kind words about my story. It took about ten to fifteen tries before I got published. So "keep trying"is the name of the game with Woman's World.

Kate Willoughby said...

It's so funny, because I had a feeling that you might have had a different title. I like yours better, but the editors have the final say and I'm sure they had some reason for changing it, like the word "guy" is more appealing to their demographic. LOL

And congrats on the sale! Persistence is definitely key.

Kate Willoughby said...

OMG, everytime I look at that raccoon picture, I crack up.

Kate Willoughby said...

Vanessa, I was just wondering, what inspired you to write this story? Have you had bad raccoon experiences?

Vanessa said...

I haven't had that happen myself. I was just trying to think of a different way to do an animal story, and I was going for that crazy, madcap feel. This was the story that I emailed to you because the published version was so different than what I sent to them.